Thursday, September 8, 2011

First Day of School


Today was my youngests first day of school.  She is 11 and going into 6th grade.

Normally, this would not be a big deal, but H is starting a new school.  Previously she's been attending a Christian school (a move my checkbook assures me is the right decision); making this her first day at a new school. 

She doesn't know anyone. (yet)

They have no parking at this school.  The only parking available is for staff and honestly, the lot doesn't seem large enough even for those cars.  Driving up I see that there is a no street parking zone all around the school area.  (Great, now what!?)  Additionally, there are two police officers standing by for unknown reasons.  (Perhaps the Jr High next door is just a little crazy?)

Several people broke the rules (I really should meet them because they are so like me) and parked along the street.  There was one spot open still so I squeezed in with my big minivan and we walked to the elementary school (past the police officer walking towards us with what I can only assume was her ticket book).  I let it go.  What could I do?  If I got a ticket taking my daughter to her first day in a new school (ie: one she's never been to, where she knows nobody and is going it at 6th grade)... so be it.  I smiled and tried not to let my angst show. 

I walked her to her classroom and we waited.
and waited.
and I sweated.
and became very cranky, but smiled to my daughter.

"You don't have to stay Mom, I'll be fine."  (my daughter knows me so well)
I did not take the easy out... I said no, I'd stay until they actually went into the classroom.

I kept sweating.  (It was quite warm out.  Over 80 and it was barely 8am. But the warm wet bear hug of humidity was killing me more.)

There was a sweet chatty obviously friendly girl standing in front of us.  My daughter towered over her.  Actually, my daughter towered over everyone!  She's used to this being a tall girl, but it seemed that the people in this school were exceptionally short.  I introduced my daughter to the chatty-Cathy.  She told us about her Alaskan cruise this summer and pointed to her shirt.  I watched the other girls share their summer events and thought that we really did very little this summer.  (I can hear it now...simulation of actual conversation I imagine "You went to Alaska?  I went to Hesperia!  It was so cool, well, actually it was so hot!  We watched tv and washed my Mom's car and tried not to get bitten by black widows!"  I doubt H would be receiving offers for a playdate soon.)

My daughter leaned against the extremely rough and grooved brick and made a sarcastic remark to chatty-Cathy who was oblivious to it.  H looked at me. 
"Apparently she doesn't get sarcasm." 
I replied quietly, "Not everyone is as fluent in sarcasm as our family dear." 
"They are all midgets."
"Actually, you're a giant.  The correct term by the way is vertically challenged."
H rolls eyes.

I sweat.

The teacher opens the door and I am momentarily elated!  She rolls out this cool triangle shaped barge for the kids to put backpacks on hooks and perhaps lunches in the bottom of.  Then she closes the door and disappears again! 

I see parents taking pictures and realize I am the worst Mom in the world, I don't even have my phone to take a photo...but my daughter has her phone and after several "I am not smiling" shots, I finally get something decent. 

Finally, the teacher opens the door and instructs the kids to sit anywhere and they will work through the actual seats each person will have once inside.  I am a bit disappointed that the is no cheery "Good Morning" as she opens the door.  That she doesn't even look out and smile at the parents or anything and I fear (unreasonably) that this will be a less than wonderful day. 

I wave goodbye to my giant daughter and walk back to my car, praying over my daughter's first day and yet knowing she will make friends because that's who she is.  I'm not actually worried...except about that ticket.

Which was not on my van! 

No comments:

Post a Comment