Friday, April 22, 2011

Passion

Guest Post from Jen O'Herin (teacher of Jewish Roots class, Mariners Church)

Most of us have seen the movie "Passion" and have heard the reports from
critics and fans. But I am struck by the number of individuals who claim
that it is too violent. "Why all the violence? Was it really necessary?" or
"It's very uncomfortable to watch". It made me think about Christ's actual
crucifixion. Why all the violence, God? I know Jesus had to die for me to
be forgiven, but did it have to be so ugly?? God had to have a reason.
Could it be that He wanted to give us a picture of the pain that was really
going on? That Jesus was leaving the presence of God and enduring hell for
us - for three days. Not paying the price of just my sins, although that
would be bad enough, but for the entire world, for all time. The physical
crucifixion would just be a glimpse of the torment He would have endured
after His death.

I don't know. But I can't help think that there would be no way to overdo the picture of
the pain and violence. And it should make us VERY uncomfortable..........

from Jen O'Herin
Mariners Church

"Don't mistake the Truth that is living water for the dry dust of mere facts"

No comments:

Post a Comment