Wednesday, January 4, 2012

secret crush

I get involved in tv shows every so often.  I watch everything online or on Netflix and this affords me the opportunity to watch a series back to back.  I fall in love with the characters. 

Right now I've been watching Medium.  I am on season five and I am totally in love with Joe Dubois.  He is such a loving and sensative father and husband.  I love how he deals with his crazy wife and all the weird things she puts him through.  Even when he's upset and frustrated with her he is so loving.  I even googled the actor who plays him.  Oh man... I have it bad.

The good thing is that looking at their marriage it makes me want to be a better wife.  Perhaps if I am nicer (because Allison is way nicer to her husband than I am to mine). 

Before that I was in love with the guy from Law & Order Criminal Intent, Vincent D'Onofrio.  I googled him too.  (I google everybody.) 

I wonder who else I've fallen in love with on TV.  Probably every decent lead character. 

So right now, I'm sitting here with all the things going on in my life watching a tv show and loving the husband on it...loving all the characters. 

This makes me think about the Happiness Box.  Do you remember that from psychology and philosophy class? 

"We have developed a machine, a box with some electrodes and a life-support system, which we call the 'happiness box.' If you get in the box, you will experience a powerfully pleasant sensation, which will continue indefinitely with just enough variation to keep you from getting too used to it. We invite you to try it. If you decide to do so, you can get out of the box any time you want to; but perhaps we should tell you that no one, once they have gotten into the happiness box, has ever wanted to get out of it. After ten hours or so, we hook up the life-support system, and people spend their lifetimes there. Of course, they never do anything else, so their bodies tend to resemble half-filled water beds after a few years because of the lack of exercise. But that never bothers them either. Now, it's your decision: Would you like to step into the happiness box? Why or why not?" (Solomon & Higgins, The Big Questions, 8th ed., 30)


I think the TV (maybe in combination with the Internet) is a happiness box.  Sitting on a comfortable sofa with a steady supply of food or snacks or... chocolate and coffee!  I go there a lot.  I have to admit I like it there.  Anybody want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment